NEW DELHI: Scaling up testing capacity, over seven lakh samples have been examined for Covid-19 in a day, taking the cumulative tests conducted so far to 2,41,06,535, the Union health ministry said on Sunday.
The number of recoveries too has surged to 14,80,884 with 53,879 coronavirus patients having recuperated and discharged in 24-hours, the highest in a day so far, pushing the recovery rate to 68.78 per cent. The fatality rate has further dropped to 2.01 per cent, it said.
Here are the top developments:
- The elevated level of testing will also lead to high number of daily positive cases, the health ministry said, adding states have been advised to firmly focus on comprehensive tracking, prompt isolation and effective treatment, following the Centre-led strategy of ‘test, track and treat’.
- With a record single-day increase of 64,399 cases, India’s Covid-19 tally mounted to 21.53 lakh, while the death toll climbed to 43,379 with 861 new fatalities being reported in a day, the health ministry’s data showed.
- Union home minister Amit Shah has not undergone any fresh Covid-19 test, an official said on Sunday, a clarification which came after BJP’s Delhi MP Manoj Tiwari tweeted on the test. Shah is recuperating at a hospital in Gurgaon after testing positive for coronavirus last week.
- The Indian Army on Sunday gifted 10 ventilators to the Nepali Army to support its efforts to fight against the Covid-19 pandemic that has claimed 75 lives in the Himalayan nation. Indian Ambassador to Nepal Vinay Mohan Kwatra handed over the ventilators to Nepal Army chief Purna Chnadra Thapa on Sunday, the Indian mission said in a statement.
- Indians with valid visas to the UAE may soon be able to travel there under the special arrangements India is working out with several countries. Indian ambassador to UAE, Pavan Kapoor, tweeted on Saturday: “I understand that a decision to this effect has now indeed been taken by MHA. This will come into effect only after the formal notification from the (Indian) aviation ministry in the next couple of days. Please book your tickets to UAE only after that.”
- Andhra Pradesh: At least ten people died after a fire broke out in a hotel turned into Covid-19 care centre by a private hospital at Vijayawada on Sunday. Short circuit was suspected to be the cause of fire that engulfed ground and first floors of Swarna Palace hotel that was taken on lease by Ramesh Hospitals.
- Karnataka: Health minister B Sriramulu said he has tested positive for coronavirus and has been hospitalised. “Following fever, I got myself tested and found to be infected by coronavirus,” Sriramulu tweeted.
- Tamil Nadu: Tamil Nadu reported 5,994 fresh Covid cases, taking the tally to 2,96,901 while 119 fatalities pushed the death toll to 4,927. Today is the seventh day of 100 plus deaths in Tamil Nadu.
- J&K: An increase of 507 coronavirus cases took the Covid-19 tally in Jammu and Kashmir to 24,897, while 13 deaths due to the viral disease were recorded in the last 24 hours. With the fresh fatalities, the death toll in the Union territory rose to 472, of which 437 were from the valley and 35 from Jammu region.
- Delhi: With 1,300 fresh cases in the last 24 hours, Delhi’s Covid-19 tally rose to over 1.45 lakh while the death toll due to the disease mounted to 4,111. The number of daily cases after dipping to three-figure count last weekend has again shown a rise in the last few days, recording in excess of 1,000.
- Goa: Goa witnessed its highest single-day spike with 506 Covid-19 cases being detected, said state health minister Vishwajit Rane. He chaired meetings with health officials and medical experts through the morning.
- UP: Uttar Pradesh reported 4,571 new Covid-19 cases, taking the total in the state to 1,22,609 as 41 more fatalities pushed the the death toll due to the disease to 2,069. The count of active Covid-19 cases in the state stands at 47,890
- Jharkhand: The second plasma therapy centre in Jharkhand will be set up at the state-run Patliputra Medical College and Hospital in Dhanbad. Chief minister Hemant Soren had inaugurated the state’s first plasma therapy facility at the Rajendra Institute of Medical Science in Ranchi on July 28.
- Mizoram: Forty-three people, including 17 Border Security Force personnel, have tested positive for Covid-19 in Mizoram, taking the northeastern state’s caseload to 608. The new patients also include a doctor engaged in sample collection, two policemen and 18 truck drivers and their helpers.
- Tripura: Four more persons, including two BSF personnel, have succumbed to Covid-19 in Tripura, taking the death toll due to the disease to 41, while 147 fresh cases pushed the infection tally to 6,164.
- Rajasthan: Rajasthan recorded six more fatalities due to Covid-19, taking the death toll to 784, while the virus tally mounted to 51,924 with detection of 596 new cases, officials said. The number of active Covid-19 cases in the state stands at 13,847.
- Puducherry: Seven more people including four women succumbed to coronavirus in Puducherry, taking the toll to 87 while 264 fresh cases were detected. The overall tally of Covid-19 infections reported so far in Puducherry was 5,382 of which 2,094 (including 712 home quarantined patients) were active cases.
- Odisha: Odisha recorded the highest single-day spike of 13 Covid-19 fatalities, which pushed the death toll in the coastal state to 272, a health department official said. At least 1,734 fresh cases were registered in 29 districts of the state, raising the coronavirus tally to 45,927
- Bihar: As many as 3,934 more Covid-19 cases were reported in the last 24 hours in Bihar, taking the total positive cases in the state to 79,720.
- Telangana: As many as 1,982 Covid-19 and 12 deaths were reported in Telangana, taking the total number of cases to 79,495 in the state. According to the state health department, the total number of cases includes 55,999 recoveries and 627 deaths so far.
- Nagaland: Nagaland reported 93 new Covid-19 cases, including 42 armed forces personnel, taking the northeastern state’s tally to 2,781. Of the total 2,781 Covid-19 cases, 1,866 are active as 904 people have recovered from the virus, eight have died and three have migrated to other states.
- The novel coronavirus has killed at least 727,288 people since it emerged in China last December. At least 19,674,290 cases of coronavirus have been registered in 196 countries and territories.
- New Zealand marked 100 days without a domestic transmission of the coronavirus on Sunday. New Zealand’s successful fight against Covid-19 has made the Pacific island nation of 5 million one of the safest places in the world right now. New Zealand has 23 active cases in managed isolation facilities, and 1,219 Covid-19 cases in all so far.
- The United States is the worst-hit country with 162,425 deaths from 4,998,105 cases. At least 1,643,118 people have been declared recovered.
- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said reopening schools in September was a social, economic and moral imperative and insisted they would be able to operate safely despite the ongoing threat from the pandemic. His comments follow a study earlier this month which warned that Britain risks a second wave of Covid-19 this winter twice as large as the initial outbreak if schools open without an improved test-and-trace system.
- Vietnam’s health ministry on Sunday reported 31 new Covid-19 cases and an additional death, taking the country’s total tally to 841, with 11 fatalities.
- The number of confirmed Covid-19 cases in Russia has increased by 5,189 to 887,536 in the last 24 hours, the response centre said. Till now as many as 14,931 people have succumbed to the disease.
- The early-stage clinical trial for a Covid-19 vaccine has started in Singapore, with the first vaccinations expected to be given to volunteers next week, a media report said, as the country’s coronavirus tally crossed over 55,000. Called Lunar-Cov19, the vaccine is developed by Duke-NUS Medical School and United States pharmaceutical company Arcturus Therapeutics.
- Hong Kong reported 72 new coronavirus cases, of which 63 were locally transmitted, as authorities continued efforts to contain a resurgence of infections in the global financial hub over the past month. More than 4,000 people have been infected in Hong Kong since January.
- Australia’s second-most populous state, Victoria, reported its deadliest day of the Covid-19 outbreak on Sunday, with 17 people dying, as police thwarted a planned anti-mask rally in Melbourne. Victoria reported 394 cases of the novel coronavirus in the past 24 hours, compared with a daily average of 400-500 over the past week. The new deaths bring the state’s total to 210.